Printed Pages: 1 Sub Code: RCA401
Paper Id: 214421 Roll No. _____________________
MCA(SEM IV) THEORY EXAMINATION 2017-18DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Time: 3 Hours Total Marks: 70
Note: Attempt all Sections. If require any missing data; then choose suitably.
1. Attempt all questions in brief. 2 x 7 = 14
- What do you mean DBMS?
- How entity sets converted to relations?
- Define joins in relations.
- Write the ways to declare key constraints.
- Define secondary index.
- What do you mean by query plan?
- How compilation of queries is done?
2. Attempt any three of the folloing: 7 x 3 = 21
- Describe evolution of database systems.
- Write down the basics for relational model. How E/R diagrams can be converted to relation design?
- Discuss simple queries and queries involving more than one relation.
- Explain various indexes on sequential files.
- Discuss various issues and models for resilient operaions.
3. Attempt any one part of the folloing: 7 x 1 = 7
- Discuss various elements of E/R model.
- Explain modeling of constraints in E/R model.
4. Attempt any one part of the folloing: 7 x 1 = 7
- Write short note on design of relation database schemas.
- Discuss extended operatos of relational algebra.
5. Attempt any one part of the folloing: 7 x 1 = 7
- Discuss relation schema, view and datbase modifications.
- Explain keys, foreign keys and constraints on attributes and tuples.
6. Attempt any one part of the folloing: 7 x 1 = 7
- Discuss compressed bitmaps and managing bitmap indexes.
- Explain scanning tables and parameters for measuring costs.
7. Attempt any one part of the folloing: 7 x 1 = 7
- What do you mean by serial and seralizable schedules? Explain conflict serializability.
- Discuss concurrency control by timestamps.