Paper code: 13527
B.Sc. (Computer Science) (Part 3)
Paper No. 3.3
UNIX AND SHELL PROGRAMMING
Time: Three Hours] [Maximum Marks: 50
Note: Attempt any five questions. All questions carry equal marks.
1. (a) Write command to list all the links from a directory. How to create a read-only file in your home directory?
(b) How will you find which operating system your system is running on in UNIX? What is “chmod” command?
2. (a) How will you run a process in background? How will you bring that into foreground and how will you kill that process?
(b) Briefly describe the single and compound statement in UNIX with example.
3. (a) How to handle and recover user account in UNIX?
(b) What are the different types of UNIX development tools? Explain with example.
4. (a) What are system calls? How do you copy file from one host to other?
(b) What is the difference between Swapping and Paging? What do you understand by this line “r…w….x”?
5. (a) How do you know if a remote host is alive or not? How do you find for how many days your server is up?
(b) How do you find which remote hosts are connecting to your host on a particular port say 10123?
6. (a) What is File system mounting and un-mounting? Explain with example.
(b) What is child-parent relationship and process identifier? Explain with example.
7. (a) Explain Bourne shell, Korn shell and C shell.
(b) You have a tab separated file which contains Name, Address and Phone Number. List down all Phone Number without their name and address.
8. Write short notes on any four of the following:
- Debuggers DBx
- Forking process
- Daemon process