Paper code: 13526
B.Sc. (Computer Science) (Part 3)
Paper No. 3.2
INTRODUCTION TO DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Time: Three Hours] [Maximum Marks: 50
Note: Attempt any five questions in all selecting one question from each section. All questions carry equal marks.
1. What do you mean by the database management system? How does it differ from flat file system? Explain its three-tier architecture.
2. Enumerate and explain various aspects of the file organisation in database management system? Also writes its performance issues.
3. Why do we need normal forms? Write and explain the following normal forms.
4. Why do we need data modelling? Explain various data modelling methods with appropriate example.
5. Explain the following:
6. How the concurrent operations performed in database? Explain with appropriate example.
7. Distinguish between the following:
- Horizontal vs. vertical fragmentation
- Homogeneous vs. heterogeneous system.
8. How deadlock are managed in database management system? Explain.
9. Explain the following:
10. Write short notes on any two of the following:
- Oracle 8i