Paper code: 13513
B.Sc. (Computer Science) (Part 2)
Paper No. 2.1
Time: Three Hours] [Maximum Marks: 33
Note: Attempt five questions in all. Attempt one question from each unit.
1. (a) What are the services provided by the operating system ? Describe each of them in brief.
(b) What is file ? Describe allocation methods of a file.
2. (a) There is a total memory of 64M in the system, and the total memory is equally divided in 8 parts of 8M each. The request process are 1M, 2M, 3M, 4M, 5m< 6M, 7M, 9M. Calculate :
(i) Internal Fragmentation
(ii) External Fragmentation
(b) Explain the following :
(i) Real-Time System
(iii) Distributed System
3. Describe page replacement algorithm. Find out total no. of page fault in the sequence with :
< 7, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 >
4. What is Segmentation ? Describe fragmentation with diagram and also define internal and external fragmentation.
5. Current situation of system is :
|A B C||A B C||A B C|
|P0||7 0 0||8 0 1||7 0 3|
|P1||2 0 0||3 0 2|
|P2||0 0 3||2 2 0|
|P3||5 4 3||4 4 4|
Find out :
(a) Need table
(b) Safe-Sequence and Intermediate Process request for process P3 (0, 2, 2).
6. What is CPU Scheduling ? Explain in brief with suitable example and diagrams.
7. (a) What is PCB ? Explain its working.
(b) Explain Memory Management Schemes in brief.
8. (a) What is Deadlock ? What are the prevention schemes of deadlock ?
(b) Explain in brief :
(i) Access Matrix
(ii) Dynamic Protection Structure
(iii) Resource Protection Policies
9. (a) What are applications and characteristics of windows NT ? Explain its installation scheme.
(b) What is standalone server ? Explain its utility.
10. (a) Differentiate PDC and BDC in details with examples.
(b) Write short notes on any three of the following :
(iii) Web Server