Paper code: 13501
B.Sc. (Computer Science) (Part 1)
Paper No. 1.1
Time: Three Hours] [Maximum Marks: 50
Note: Attempt any five questions. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions in your own words:
The man came with the poison and said to Socrates, “You have only to drink this and walk about until your legs feel heavy and then lie down; and it will act for itself,” Socrates took the cup cheerfully, without trembling and without any change of colour, and looked up at the man with that fixed glance of his and asked: “Shall we make an offering to the gods from it?”
“We only prepare so much as we think sufficient, Socrates”, he answered.
“I understand,” said Socrates, “Suppose I must pray to the gods that my journey hence may be prosperous: that is my prayer, be it so.”
With these words he put the cup to his lips and drank the poison calmly and cheerfully. Most of the men present controlled their grief. But one of them burst into a loud cry. Then all of them broke down except Socrates.
“What are you doing, my friends?” he exclaimed, “I sent away the women chiefly in order that a man should die in silence. So calm yourselves and bear up.”
The men were ashamed and ceased weeping. But he walked about until his legs were getting heavy and then he lay down on his back. Stiffness crept up his body. After a short interval there was a movement. Then all was still.
a. What did the man who brought poison tell Socrates?
b. How did Socrates receive the cup of poison?
c. What made the people weep?
d. Suggest a suitable title to the passage?
2. How is business correspondence different from personal correspondence?
3. Draft a letter placing an order for twenty digital printers giving necessary details.
4. Give the correct of verbs in the following:
Once there (be) a boy. The boy (go) to his farm. He (think) of (tease) people of the village. So he began to (cry) in a pretended manner. (Hear) him cry the people (disappoint). Next time there was a wolf in reality, the boy (cry) again. But this times no villager (come) for his help. The boy (realise) his mistake.
5. What is stress? What do you mean by primary stress and secondary stress?
6. What are the barriers to effective communication?
7. List three words each with different spelling for the consonant sound having:
- The same consonant sound as in shoe.
- The same consonant sound as in zoo.
- The same consonant sound as in joy.
- The same consonant sound as in care.
- The same consonant sound as in see.