Paper code: 13501
B.Sc. (Computer Science) (Part 1)
Paper No. 1.1
Time: Three Hours] [Maximum Marks: 50
Note: Attempt any five questions. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Read the following passage and answer the questions in your own words:
There is a new factor operative in the word of knowledge today. Knowledge is changing much faster today than ever before.We all know this. But we, in this country, have not begun to appreciate its implications in terms of the practical job of a teacher. Till recently most teacher taught more or less same things as they had learnt as students, and nobody minded it. This cannot be allowed now. By the time a teacher a student becomes outdated. A teacher is therefore, unfit unless he has the capacity and the habit of acquiring new knowledge all the time. This also means that it is enough now to make students memories a certain amount of information becomes outdated in no time. What students should be taught, in addition to a basic stock of information, is a habit of applying an active intelligence to new and emergent problems. If university education cannot do this, it is not worth its name. We have only to look at the question set for the major examinations to be quit convinced that our universities do not even aim at doing it. The questions set do not attempt to test the capacity of students to think on their own to react to new problems.
- What is the factor in the world of knowledge?
- When does a teacher becomes unfit to teach?
- What is the most important thing that a student should be taught?
- Why is the present system of education considered defective?
- Give a suitable title for the above passage.
2. Explain the parts of business letter.
3. What is a letter of enquiry? Give a sample.
4. Explain the guidelines to overcome communication barriers.
5. What do you understand by consonant sound and vowel sounds?
6. Illustrate the stress(primary and secondary) in any five of the following words:
7. Give the correct form of verbs in any ten of the following:
- I (read) the novel after I (finish) my work.
- My younger sister (eat) all the apples before we got back.
- I often (think) of the things I (do) when I (be) young.
- The union secretary (make) a speech on May Day.
- If we (heat) water enough, it (boil).
- I (try) to finish this exercise for the last half an hour.
- Columbus (reach) the West Indies in 1492.
- An important meeting of the Government Body (hold) tonight.
- I (sleep) soundly when the burglars broke in.
- After we (have) dinner, we usually go for a walk.
- At last the Chairman (solve) the problem to everyone’s satisfaction.
- Fetch a doctor! The poor man (die).