Paper code: 13504
B.Sc. (Computer Science) (Part 1)
Paper No. 2.1
Time: Three Hours] [Maximum Marks: 33
Note: Attempt five questions in all section. Attempt any one question from each Section.
1. (a) What is Algorithm? Explain. Discuss various characteristics of Algorithm.
(b) Draw and explain computer with a block diagram.
2. (a) Convert the following:
- (24)10 = (?)2
- (24.6)7 = (?)10
- (1111001)2 = (?)16
- (1111001)2 = (?)BCD
(b) Explain ASCII Code.
(c) How can one represent characters in computers? Explain.
3. (a) Draw and explain memory hierarchy with a neat diagram.
(b) Differentiate between RAM and ROM.
4. (a) Explain the following memory units.
- CD ROM
- Magnetic Tape Drives
- Floppy disk
- Tape Drives
(b) What do you mean by memory cell? Explain.
5. (a) What do you understand by registers? Briefly explain the various types of registers.
(b) Explain stack pointer. Also write its importance in program execution.
6. Explain different addressing modes used in computer architecture with suitable example.
7. (a) What are the basic functions of an operating system? Explain.
(b) Explain various kinds of operating system.
8. Discuss various generations of computer with few examples of each generation of computers.
9. Explain the role and uses of computers in various areas in brief.
10. Write short notes on any two of the following:
- Polish notation
- Operating system characteristics
- Number system